On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that you simply
> unpack your switches and plug them into the network right from the box?

No, I'm saying that I've always tried to avoid plugging in a switch which
was configured to talk IP on a production network (Ciscos used to come out the
box that way- I tend to buy cheaper/dumber devices these days.)

> IP addresses on switches are in my opinion a very good idea, because then
> I can monitor the traffic of each port on the switch, whereas otherwise
> I'd have to load snmp agents on each server. Not only that, but it's a
> very common management model in businesses to have separate WAN and LAN
> teams. The person monitoring the switches often doesn't have any
> administrative access to the servers.

It's been probably 8 years since I've done anything with snmp that didn't
count as turning it off.  When I've needed to check the status of a
server's service, I've done it by checking the actual service itself.

When I've needed to check on equipment, I've done it through the console
port wired to a terminal server to get away from in-band management
issues.  The single time I've been mandated to build in management, it got
its own network (it was a router cloud- the switches still didn't get IP
addresses.)

To me, the benefit argument in the cost/benefit/risk analysis hasn't ever
met the bar for managing switches.  Buying more devices and building
redundancy in up-front, or buying cheaper devices and cascading new gear
in before anywhere near the MTBF both seem to me to be much better
solutions than in-band managment.

Unlike MAUs, CAUs and LAMs, I think I've only seen two Ethernet switch
failures ever, and one was DOA.

I've never been a huge fan of the "router/switch/cusinart" devices either
though...

Paul