On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Vishal Mukherjee wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a newbie and want a few suggestions and help?
> we are a small organization with around 15 terminals. we are connected to
> the internet through a dialup connection to the internet.
> One server serves us as a proxy server and all the other computers on the
> network browse using a proxy server. My questions are:-
>
> 1.    Do we need a firewall?

Most probably, yes, it depends though, you might have enough with a proxy
in place, but, you might not;

what kind of 'terminals'?

how do they connect to the proxy and how is your network connected to the
internet via this dialup?

> 2.    which firewall will u gurus suggested?

Linux and various *BSD systems are able to run on cheap equipment and have
various software firewalling code that can be run on them.  I caution
folks though thinking about runing out and doing this asap, as, it takes
some skills, in unix like OS comand and networking functionality, as well
as some fairly advande networking knowledge beyond timple dialup
connection settings.  Unless you have thknowledge and skills already, or
the time to spend on alot of reading and trial and error setup and
installation stuff, you might well wish to contract out this project.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.