On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Vishal Mukherjee wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a newbie and want a few suggestions and help?
> we are a small organization with around 15 terminals. we are connected to
> the internet through a dialup connection to the internet.
> One server serves us as a proxy server and all the other computers on the
> network browse using a proxy server. My questions are:-
>
> 1.    Do we need a firewall?
> 2.    which firewall will u gurus suggested?
>
> I would prefer a software firewall if suggested by you all..

You should have a firewall of some sort.

What OS is the proxy/dial up on?

Are the addresses on your local network routable or not? (192.168.x.x or
10.x.x.x)

If the addresses behind the proxy are not routable, it is not as much of
an issue as long as the machine with the dial up is not hacked.  If it is,
they still have access to your network, just a slow one.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.