The netcache will be used only for outbound web browsing by users, no inbound services allowed to servers.  All inbound initiated services would continue to go through the firewall. Sorry, I should have been more explicit about the intended use of the netcache.

Regards,
Kent
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Royds [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 5:18 PM
To: Kent Hundley; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Opinions on netcache security

What they are really saying is that they want the Netcache to replace the firewall for your server segment so you want to separate your server segment from any actual connection to your internal  network after that is implemented. What does this imply for management of your servers.
  Since the Netcache is not a full firewall and can't have access policies tuned, you need to ensure that any traffic that gets to your server segment can't bypass your firewall to reach your internal network. The Netcache may be secure in itself, but it doesn't protect your servers as well as the firewall (unless you have an open policy to your servers already).
   You need to ensure that your servers are as well protected from attacks after netcache is installed as they are now and that means the netcache pass through rules fit the same policies as on the firewall.