I'm looking for opinions on the relative security of installing a netcache caching proxy in parallel with a firewall.

I have always considered "best practices" to be that few, if any, devices should be installed in parallel to a firewall unless there is a compelling justification for doing so. (less attack vectors, simplicity, etc)  However, my client is being told by Network Appliance that they should install their netcache proxies in parallel with their firewalls for performance reasons.  They are also being told that the netcache proxies are "hardened" and do no support any outside to inside initiated connections and that a large number of their clients install their netcache proxies in parallel with their firewalls.

Some preliminary testing I have done did not reveal any available ports on the netcache when scanned from the outside and a search in the ICAT returned only 2 vuln's recorded for the netcache appliances. (one of which was related to allowing HTTP tunnels in the default config)

Given this, and given that there have been firewall performance concerns by my client, I need a good reason not to install the netcache's in parallel with the firewalls other than "it's not best practice".  Does anyone have specific reasons why the netcache proxies should not be installed in parallel with the firewall?  In particular, any experiences with a netcache being compromised would be very helpful.

Regards,
Kent