--On Friday, 07 June, 2002 10:26 +0200 Ben Nagy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

there has been discussion of wanting to use syslog data for "evidentiary"
purposes, and that this would seem to require signing, rather than use of
some form of (keyed) MAC. there is also the fun of key distribution for a
keyed MAC. but there was, and i believe still is, interest in use of a MAC
as an alternative (but this is not (yet?) a working group item).

there seems to be an open source implementation of the reliable
syslog delivery profile as part of a BEEP implementation.

> For firewalls, though, an SSH tunnel might be an even easier way to do
> it - SSH is designed to tunnel random sockets, so wouldn't even require
> that you hack the apps.
>
> If you want to get really simple, just run IPSec (or v6) between your
> firewall and log receiver, run AH only, and buy IPSec NICs - don't you
> get instant integrity and replay detection, then? I'd like to see every
> device on the Internal segments talking with AH IPSec anyway, for a
> variety of reasons. I guess it won't traverse NAT so well, so the SSH
> thing might be a better quick fix for sending stuff over the Internet.

as a side comment:

there has been discussion of deprecating AH (use ESP with authentication
and one can use a null crypto-transform) on the IPsec working group
mailing list... and NAT traversal may be possible.

-paul