Dear Arturo,

I am less pessimistic than you about treating and measuring information.

First off, that information is always relative is the obverse of the third
law of thermodynamics. It cannot be otherwise.
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/FISPAP.pdf>

Secondly, you are correct that there are important metaphysical aspects of
information. To my knowledge, it is the only discipline predicated on
*absence* -- the absence of constraint (popularly characterized as
"uncertainty"). We know from the third law that such entropic-like
measures are always relative to some assumed reference. Actual information
is calculated as a decrease in apophasis and shares that same relativity.

While you might feel that the metaphysical associations disqualify
information as an instrument of science, I would suggest that it rather
opens a new window onto our vision of reality.
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/publications/philosophy/3rdwindow/>

Should you think information measures useless because of such metaphysical
associations, I would submit that measures of apophasis can be quite
useful in remediation of environmental problems (and problems in a host of
other realms as well). (See the example beginning on p51 of
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/Methods2.pdf>.)

Let me end by saying that I understand fully your exasperation with
information theory (IT). For almost two decades I abjured IT, because I
considered it nonsensical that a TV screen with "snow" (no signal) should
have more information that a picture of a movie star. (My vexation was
based on similar reasons as yours.) Then it finally dawned on me that some
of the founders of IT had made serious pedagogical errors with their
definitions. I eventually sorted out my own perspective (See Chapter 5 of
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/publications/ecosystems/gand/>), and went
on to build my entire career on concepts related to IT.

I would encourage you give it all another look. IT can be quite rewarding!

Peace,
Bob