From: Hector Zenil [mailto:hzen...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 30 March 2017 10:48 AM
To: John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>; fis <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subject: Re: [Fis] Causation is transfer of information

Dear John et al. Some comments below:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM, John Collier
<colli...@ukzn.ac.za<mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za>> wrote:
I think we should try to categorize and relate information concepts rather than
trying to decide which is the “right one”. I have tried to do this by looking
at various uses of information in science, and argue that the main uses show
progressive containment: Kinds of Information in Scientific
Use<http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/278/269>. 2011.
cognition, communication, co-operation. Vol 9, No
2<http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/issue/view/22>

There are various mathematical formulations of information as well, and I think
the same strategy is required here. Sometimes they are equivalent, sometimes
close to equivalent, and sometimes quite different in form and motivation. Work
on the foundations of information science needs to make these relations clear.
A few years back (more than a decade) a mathematician on a list (newsgroup)
argued that there were dozens of different mathematical definitions of
information. I thought this was a bit excessive, and argued with him about
convergences, but he was right that they were mathematically different. We need
to look at information theory structures and their models to see where they are
equivalent and where (and if) they overlap. Different mathematical forms can
have models in common, sometimes all of them.

The agreement among professional mathematicians is that the correct definition
of randomness as opposed to information is the Martin Loef definition for the
infinite asymptotic case, and Kolmogorov-Chaitin for the finite case.
Algorithmic probability (Solomonoff, Levin) is the theory of optimal induction
and thus provides a formal universal meaning to the value of information. Then
the general agreement is also that Bennett's logical depth separates the
concept of randomness from information structure. No much controversy in in
there on the nature of classical information as algorithmic information. Notice
that 'algorithmic information' is not just one more definiton of information,
IS the definition of mathematical information (again, by way of defining
algorithmic randomness). So adding 'algorithmic' to information is not to talk
about a special case that can then be ignored by philosophy of information.

All the above builds on (and well beyond) Shannon Entropy, which is not even
very properly discussed in philosophy of information beyond its most basic
definition (we rarely, if ever, see discussions around mutual information,
conditional information, Judea Pearl's interventionist approach and
counterfactuals, etc), let alone anything of the more advanced areas mentioned
above, or a discussion on the now well established area of quantum information
that is also comletely ignored.

This is like trying to do philosophy of cosmology discussing Gamow and Hubble
but ignoring relativity, or trying to do philosophy of language today
discussing Locke and Hume but not Chomsky, or doing philosophy of mind
discussing the findings of Ramon y Cajal and claiming that his theories are not
enough to explain the brain. It is some sort of strawman fallacy contructing an
opponent living in the 40s to claim in 2017 that it fails at explaining
everything about information. Shannon Entropy is a counting-symbol function,
with interesting applications, Shannon himself knew it. It makes no sense to
expect a counting-symbol function to tell anything interesting about
information after 60 years. I refer again to my Entropy deceiving paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.05972
I do not blame philosophers on this one, phycisists seem to assign Shannon
Entropy some mystical power, this is why I wrote a paper proving how it cannot
be used in graph complexity as some phycists have recently suggested (e.g.
Bianconi via Barabasi). But this is the kind of discussion that we should have
having, telling phycisists not to go back to the 40s when it comes to
characterizing new objects. If Shannon Entropy fails at characterizing
sequences it will not work for other objects (graphs!).

I think the field of philosophy of information cannot get serious until serious
discussion on topics above starts to take place. Right now the field is small
and carried out by a few mathematicians and phycisists. Philosophers are left
behind because they are choosing to ignore all the theory developed in the last
50 to 60 years. I hope this is taken constructively. I think we philosophers
need to step up, if we are not be leading the discussion at least we should not
be 50 or 60 years behind. I have tried to to close that gap but usually I also
get convenently ignored =)

I have argued that information originates in symmetry breaking (making a
difference, if you like, but I see it as a dynamic process rather than merely
as a representation) Information Originates in Symmetry
Breaking<http://web.ncf.ca/collier/papers/infsym.pdf> (Symmetry 1996).

Very nice paper. I agree on symmetry breaking, I have similar ideas:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1572
(published in the journal of Natural Computing)
On how symmetric rules can produce assymetric information.

Best,

Hector Zenil
http://www.hectorzenil.net/

I adopt what I call dynamical realism, that anything that is real is either
dynamical or interpretable in dynamical terms. Not everyone will agree.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier