-------- Mensaje reenviado --------

Asunto:         Re: [Fis] PRINCIPLES OF IS
Fecha:  Tue, 19 Sep 2017 09:21:51 +0200
De:     Rafael Capurro <raf...@capurro.de>
Responder a:    raf...@capurro.de
Para:   Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

Dear Pedro,

a short comment to your intro to the 10 principles: I very much agree with your views (following Ortega) that information science can be conceived as a multifaceted or "multifarious" network of concepts and theories dealing phenomena partly related partly not (yet) related with each other for which we need different languages/concepts and 'translations' and kinds of calculations also with regard to their goals and 'utility'.

If this makes sense, then we should try to develop some kind of 'principles' or 'archai' in the Greek sense, i.e., of 'initial forces' that give rise to possibilities of 'un-concealing' different kinds of phenomena that we could not see when disregarding other paths or by not entering through other 'portals' each portal announcing different kinds of what makes sense or not when entering the path.

Sometimes it makes sense to go up and see the landscapes from the top, knowing that this view(s) from the top also conceal a lot of things on the bottom. It is easiear to understand these 'principles' if we have experience with walking in the mountains (but also in other natural and artificial environments like a forest, a desert, cities etc.). Maybe we could learn from such experiences which kind of 'principles' are to be conssidered in the 'methods' (hodos = path) of scientific research.

So, my suggestion is to invite our FIS colleagues to describe phenomenologically their walking experiences and 'principles' in different enviroments (mountains etc.) and try to 'translate' (trans-late) them into the field of information science.

Best

Rafael

Dear FIS Colleagues,

As promised herewith the "10 principles of information science". A couple of previous comments may be in order. First, what is in general the role of principles in science? I was motivated by the unfinished work of philosopher Ortega y Gasset, "The idea of principle in Leibniz and the evolution of deductive theory" (posthumously published in 1958). Our tentative information science seems to be very different from other sciences, rather multifarious in appearance and concepts, and cavalierly moving from scale to scale. What could be the specific role of principles herein? Rather than opening homogeneous realms for conceptual development, these information principles would appear as a sort of "portals" that connect with essential topics of other disciplines in the different organization layers, but at the same time they should try to be consistent with each other and provide a coherent vision of the information world. And second, about organizing the present discussion, I bet I was too optimistic with the commentators scheme. In any case, for having a first glance on the whole scheme, the opinions of philosophers would be very interesting. In order to warm up the discussion, may I ask John Collier, Joseph Brenner and Rafael Capurro to send some initial comments / criticisms? Later on, if the commentators idea flies, Koichiro Matsuno and Wolfgang Hofkirchner would be very valuable voices to put a perspectival end to this info principles discussion (both attended the Madrid bygone FIS 1994 conference)... But this is FIS list, unpredictable in between the frozen states and the chaotic states! So, everybody is invited to get ahead at his own, with the only customary limitation of two messages per week.

Best wishes, have a good weekend --Pedro

*10 **PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION SCIENCE*

1. Information is information, neither matter nor energy.

2. Information is comprehended into structures, patterns, messages, or flows.

3. Information can be recognized, can be measured, and can be processed (either computationally or non-computationally).

4. Information flows are essential organizers of life's self-production processes--anticipating, shaping, and mixing up with the accompanying energy flows.

5. Communication/information exchanges among adaptive life-cycles underlie the complexity of biological organizations at all scales.

6. It is symbolic language what conveys the essential communication exchanges of the human species--and constitutes the core of its "social nature."

7. Human information may be systematically converted into efficient knowledge, by following the "knowledge instinct" and further up by applying rigorous methodologies.

8. Human cognitive limitations on knowledge accumulation are partially overcome via the social organization of "knowledge ecologies."

9. Knowledge circulates and recombines socially, in a continuous actualization that involves "creative destruction" of fields and disciplines: the intellectual /Ars Magna./

10. Information science proposes a new, radical vision on the information and knowledge flows that support individual lives, with profound consequences for scientific-philosophical practice and for social governance.

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta 0
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 (& 6818)
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es

Prof.em. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM), Stuttgart, Germany
Capurro Fiek Foundation for Information Ethics
(http://www.capurro-fiek-foundation.org)
Distinguished Researcher at the African Centre of Excellence for Information
Ethics (ACEIE), Department of Information Science, University of Pretoria,
South Africa.
Chair, International Center for Information Ethics (ICIE) (http://icie.zkm.de)
Editor in Chief, International Review of Information Ethics (IRIE)
(http://www.i-r-i-e.net)
Postal Address: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail:raf...@capurro.de
Voice: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage:www.capurro.de