Pedro,

Ortega's view of Aristotle conceiving sciences (epistemai) as "uncommunicated" because based on different "principles" (archai) is, in my view, a misunderstanding. Aristotle is very careful in his starting (!) analysis of concepts (before delimitating / terminus their fields) having different meanings also in everyday language. His standard formulation for this is "this and this concept is being said in different ways" or in the case of the concept of 'being' 'to on legetai pollachos'. So, it is this differentiation of the uses of concepts (See Wittgenstein on this) which makes a translation (meta-pherein, trans-lation, not metaphorics) or 'communication' possible between the fields in which concepts/words are used. This possibility of 'translation' is the underlying 'principle' upon which we can start conceiving new 'paradigms' in science or new ways of being, or creativity in technology etc. This takes us also to a plurality of ways of thinking that are also ways of being, among the, the differences analyzed by Ortega between ancient, modern and present (at Ortega's time) of science. In fact, the concept of science itself 'legetai pollachos'. All this implies an open relation to language and particularly to language 'as' information. Leibniz view of this 'communication' is the one of an invinite 'unfolding' of perspectives (according also to his view of infinitesimal calculus). See on this: Gilles Deleuze: Le pli. Leibniz et le baroque (1988)
http://www.leseditionsdeminuit.fr/livre-Le_Pli-2022-1-1-0-1.html
This 'unfolding' of possible (infinite) perspectives implies a concept (!) of time that is dependent on its measurability (following also Aristotle's famous definition of time as the measure of what is before and after (a process). But the problem with this (possible) view of time is that it is based (in 'principle') on a perspective of the movement of natural phenomena. Heidegger's 'Being and Time' (and later on Derrida and others) questionned this 'principle' by stating that this reduces time as a 'following' of 'nows' giving the priority to the present (what 'is' is what is present). This is usefull indeed for measurement also of human time, but human time is three dimensional and so Heidegger (and partly also Ortega with his concept of (human) life) did what Popper would call a 'falsification' of the prevailing concept of time by analyzing a way of being of a being, which are we ourselves, in which case past, present and future are not reduced to 'being as present': if we loose our relation to past (as non-being) and future (also as non-being), then we have not only a very poor view on human life but also serious problems of different kinds. Present digital technology focuses on time 'as' present and so we live in some way under the 'pressure' of this time regime. The relation between words and concepts or language and information was analyzed carefully by Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker. I wrote about this a short text in 1981 (!) on a dialogue between Heidegger and Weizsäcker (and others) that took place in a meeting in Munich in 1953 on "Arts in a technological Age".
http://www.capurro.de/heidinf.htm

best
Rafael

Dear FISers,

Taking seriously the idea of information principles, quite probably demands a specific discussion on principles. Why do we need "principles" at all? Because of our cognitive limitations. An infinite intellect would traverse all spans of knowledge without any discontinuity--presumably. In our collective scientific enterprise, however, we create special disciplines in order to share understandable discourses between the limited individuals of each thought-collective. As knowledge accumulates and gets more and more complex, particularly in the encounter with other discourses, the growing epistemic distances fragment the original discipline, and a new subdiscipline becomes necessary. It starts then a fresh new discourse, with its own principles. In my brief mention of Ortega, what he accuses Leibnitz is that being the champion of principles in science, he becomes fragmentary and asystematic in his meta-scientific/philosophical "mode of thinking": the hypersystematic expresses himself fragmentarily (Ortega dixit). It is curious that along the survey of principles in Ortega's book, the most frequent interlocutor is not Leibnitz, but Aristotle! Although Husserl, Heidegger, Descartes, Pappus, Plato, Suarez, Spinoza... and some others big names also appear, his main concern (to my taste) is discussing Aristotle's view of specialized disciplines starting from their respective principles, empirically-sensuously obtained and "uncommunicated" in between the different fields. It is very intriguing.

If the principles of different disciplines are factually uncommunicated, the info science view of a new body of knowledge running across all scales is caught into a difficult "principled" position. Nevertheless, the three blocks I distinguished (info per se, bioinfo, ecology of knowledge) seem to allow some fertile conjugation inside/outside... but the problem remains. I think it is solvable, as in our times there is a central element that allows a whole new scientific discourse on information. The dense relationship between life and information has nowadays acquired a formidable empirical background, leveraged by the most basic disciplines--physics, chemistry, computer science, and biology itself.

More concretely, the notion of the "information flow" can almost be sketched properly, both in its signaling textures and in the fundamental relationship with the life cycle--and not very differently along the evolutionary process. Thereafter, recombination appears as one of the fundamental emergences in the growing complexity of the evolving information dynamics around life cycles and information/energy flows. The recombination phenomenon happens for the knowledge-stocks of cells, nervous systems, enterprises, sciences-technologies-cultures... It accumulates amazing combinatoric, topological, dynamic, and closure properties in the different realms, flowing up and down among scales, multidimensionally, and maintaining afloa the whole game of adaptive existences.

Our disciplines may apparently work by themselves, autonomously, but actually they do not. Rather than "on top", they work "on tap". They endlessly recombine in the ecology of knowledge, differently for each problem and for each occasion, creating new theoretical and applied subdisciplines in the thousands. Information science has to shed light on that fundamental factor of contemporary societies. And more "psychologically" this discipline has to put LIFE, both individual life and social life, at the very center of the sharing of meaning. A new way of thinking starting from specific information principles will liberate our limited intellects to more creative endeavors. It is time to quote Whitehead: "Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them. Operations of thought are like cavalry charges in a battle —they are strictly limited in number, they require fresh horses, and must only be made at decisive moments."

Best wishes--Pedro