发件人: "joe.brenner";<joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>;
发送时间: 2017年10月2日(星期一) 下午4:45
收件人: "fis"<fis@listas.unizar.es>;

主题: [Fis] Fw:  PRINCIPLES OF IS. The Pre-Science of Information

Dear Pedro, Dear FISers,

In the 2 weeks I have been away, an  excellent discussion has self-organized as
Pedro noted. Any preliminary comments  and criticisms of Pedro’s 10 Principles
I could make now can refer to this.  I would have said first that Pedro is to
be thanked for this construction.  Preparing a list of principles involves
defining not only the content but also  the number, order and relation between
the entries. Zou, Stan and Ted in  particular have recognized the existence of
the list as such and the work  involved.

My own view is that we are all currently  involved in reworking the Foundations
of Information Science. These  Foundations are not themselves science, but they
look forward to the increased  understanding of Information Science as Terry
suggests. I propose the term  “Pre-Science” for this process activity, a pun on
the word ‘prescience’ whose  normal definition is foreknowledge or foresight.
The people who tend to make  mistakes in this effort will be those who claim
that any simple concept or set  of concepts can do the job itself, supported by
claims to authorities such as  Peirce. Sets of principles, on the  other hand,
are tools more difficult to use but they permit directed  consideration of
several perspectives at the same  time.

Principles are the basis for an  interpretation of what is in the physical and
biological processes that are the  proper subjects for non-computational
Information Science, without – yet –  providing any explanations. Now this is a
lot more philosophical that may have  been expected when the discussion
started. However, today, unlike when Pedro and  his colleagues started out, we
have the Philosophy of Information of Luciano  Floridi and Wu Kun to work with,
as well as my logic. I am surprised that no-one  has yet referred to Floridi or
Wu.

Going back over the postings to-date, I have  noted a few which seem
constitutive of a ‘Pre-Science’ of Information:  Emmanuel’s ‘duality’, Stan’s
hierarchies; Michel Godron’s and John Torday’s  bridges to biology, Pedro’s
reworking of communication, etc. I will  resist comments that the concepts of
Pre-Science are to be thrown out as  part of non-science or ‘just’ philosophy.
As Koichiro clearly said on 20.09,  information can, and in my view is already,
bringing in something new  empirically to questions of space and time.  In the
Pre-Science of Information,  ideally, it should be possible to retain mechanism
and materialism or realism;  computationalism and non- or natural
computationalism; information as a physical reality and a non-physical
appearance.

I look forward with great interest to the  lines of development of this thread.

Best  wishes,

Joseph