Dear all,

I am in agreement with Joseph's suggestion that our discussions of the
foundations of information could be understood as pre-science. Efforts such
as the list of principles proposed by Pedro offer a useful focus of
discussion for working toward a more solid "foundation" precisely because
it helps elicits responses that exemplify the fault lines in our community.
These are not merely points of disagreement but also theoretical boundaries
that need to be clearly identified if we want to seriously map this still
ambiguous conceptual territory. Claims that this issue has been settled or
that there are irresolvable issues involved or that the whole conceptual
territory is useless are unhelpful. We just need to get explicit about our
differences and what motivates them.

Professor Terrence W. Deacon
University of California, Berkeley