Dear Michel,

I spent my career doing much the same thing with mutual information, which
in this case quantifies the degree of constraint among the species.
<https://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/publications/ecosystems/gand/>
Encouraged by the suggestions of E.P. Odum, I hypothesized that ecosystems
would naturally increase in the product of their gross activities times
the mutual information among the network of interactions -- a product
(fashioned after the Gibbs/Helmholz free energies) that I called system
"ascendency".

After about two decades of measuring the ascendencies of diverse
ecosystems, the data were telling me that my hypothesis was wrong.
Ecosystems do not continually progress in increasing ascendency, but
rather achieve a balance between ascendency (a surrogate for efficiency)
and its complement, the system overhead (which mirrors reliability).
Furthermore, the quantitative nature of the balance is notably insensitive
to the type of ecosystem under study, averaging about 40% efficiency and
60% redundancy. (See Figure 7 on p1890 of
<https://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/Dual.pdf>.)

Now, you might argue that constraint is not information and so these
results are not germane to our discussion, but I (and I think Stan) would
propose that constraint is actually the most generalized form of
information, and the Bayesian forms of the Shannon measure beautifully
parse the division between efficiency and reliability.

While I didn't set out to falsify my initial hypothesis, that is indeed
what eventually happened. Notice that it was accomplished in quantitative
fashion and without any recourse whatsoever to system dynamics. The
decades-long exercise demonstrates, I think, a phenomenological approach
to the science of life pursued in abstraction of (but not contradiction
to) the underlying physics and chemistry.

Je lis un peu francais et voudrais bien lire de votre travail sur
l'information mutuelle.

Cordialement,
Bob