From: Loet Leydesdorff <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net>
Sent: ‎14/‎10/‎2017 16:06
To: Terrence W. DEACON <mailto:dea...@berkeley.edu>; Sungchul Ji <mailto:s...@pharmacy.rutgers.edu>
Cc: foundationofinformationscience <mailto:fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subject: Re: [Fis] Data - Reflection - Information

Dear Terry and colleagues,

"Language is rather the special case, the most unusual communicative adaptation to ever have evolved, and one that grows out of and depends on informationa/semiotic capacities shared with other species and with biology in general."
Let me try to argue in favor of "meaning", "language", and "discursive knowledge", precisely because they provide the "differentia specifica" of mankind. "Meaning" can be provided by non-humans such as animals or networks, but distinguishing between the information content and the meaning of a message requires a discourse. The discourse enables us to codify the meaning of the information at the supra-individual level. Discursive knowledge is based on further codification of this intersubjective meaning. All categories used, for example, in this discussion are codified in scholarly discourses. The discourse(s) provide(s) the top of the hierarchy that controls given the cybernetic principle that construction is bottom up and control top-down.

Husserl uses "intentionality" and "intersubjective intentionality" instead of "meaning". Perhaps, this has advantages; but I am not so sure that the difference is more than semantic. In Cartesian Meditations (1929) he argues that this intersubjective intentionality provides us with the basis of an empirical philosophy of science. The sciences do not begin with observations, but with the specification of expectations in discourses. A predator also observes his prey, but in scholarly discourses, systematic observations serve the update of codified (that is, theoretical) expectations.

Best,
Loet