I believe you should be able to use the HEAD version. Using home-brew, you can
install a formula HEAD using the following:

➜ brew install fish --HEAD
Error: fish-2.1.0 already installed
To install this version, first `brew unlink fish'

Assuming fish is already installed, you’d first need to unlink it as per the
error message above. Then repeating the install command with —HEAD should do
the trick.

Don’t forget to add the newly installed binary to your list of shells in
/etc/shells to be able to use it.

— Attila