Okay I built from master and confirmed (and re-confirmed) that I am running
the correct version (aka fish, version 2.1.0-418-g73c2846).

The error happens less frequently but still happens.  Also there is a new
deadlock that happens infrequently too.  In my use case I am using parallel
to do a git pull across 6 different repos/clone's.  The remotes are on the
local network so it is usually very quick.  When the deadlock happens I can
see at least one git process stuck.  If I kill the hanging git process then
the parallel execution returns.  Note when I run this via bash it runs
without fail.

Note I am not using fish as my shell i.e. SHELL=/bin/bash

While I can work around this issue, I would also like to lend as much
assistance as I can if I can do anything else to further isolate and debug
this.

thanks,
Glen