> As a trivial example, if I type `cd a`, then `cd ..`, then `cd`, how can Fish
> possibly know if I wanted to `cd a` again or if I actually wanted to `cd ..`
> again? Global history may not necessarily get it correct, but at least it's
> predictable. Local history will get it wrong perhaps just as often as global
> history, and will be significantly less predictable.

Going by Martin's example, it should give preference to 'cd a' because
thats the command that was given when not in 'a' (say he was in his
home dir), 'cd ..' was given when in 'a', so that gets lesser
preference and appears as the next suggestion.

But I agree with you. Having suggestions come out in chronological
order is more predictable and consistent.

-mandeep