Carols is absolutly right about Holland and Norway. They are both committed to
breeding correct Norwegian Fjords and there is no outcrossing except possibly
accidental!  Carol is also right in saying that the Dutch do not judge
"character" or behaviour in hand, but in the IBOP test. Part of the test is to
tack up or harness the horse in the middle of the arena and mount the horse or
carriage. Sometimes people will use a header for this sometimes not. But if
the particular horse is not obedient or is unruly during the tack up and mount
he will be severely penalized for it and may not receive an "A" because of it
even though his actual performance was good. Also the Dutch IBOP test are very
definitely judged on how well the horse performs his test. It is not attitude
and obedience alone. The horse must be on the bit and show two  good trots. In
riding it is judged just as a dressage test is. If the horse is above or
behind the bit he will be penalized for it. I spent two weeks learner judging
the Fjord IBOP tests and trust me good attitude and forwardness were hardly
the only criteria looked for. I'm sure if a horse repeatedly smashed through
the fences with the best of intentions he would be penalized for his lack of
athletic ability. I have also participated in several IBOP's myself so am
quite familiar with what's called for.
I do take exception with Carol's use of "dummy down' the breed. First of all
athleticism and temperment are not related. You can have a very athletic
forward horse who is quiet and well behaved in hand.  Carol sometimes makes it
sound as though it is desirable for a stallion to act up as it proves that he
is an athletic individual, this is not true I believe what she means to say is
if we were to choose our breeding stallions based on behavior alone, ignoring
excellent conformation, pedigree and performance ability, we would be doing
the breed a great disservice. That is true. However it is always nice to see a
well behaved well presented individual in hand of any breed.
 There is also a big difference between naughty, testing behavior and mean
behavior. Some stallions do not take well to being put in their place and will
react by coming back at their handler others are not so aggressive and will
more easily repent.
The quietest Fjord I ever owned is an Oswin daughter Hedi who is a ster mare
in the Dutch system. She was in my pair for many years and was very fast and
competitve in the hazards. yet If we put a novice rider on her she would move
out on the trail at a veritable snail's pace. I used her to teach several
beginners. She now is in a theraputic riding program here in VT where she will
excell because of her quiet, layed back temperment. Talk about from
ridiculous to sublime. In one sport she had to be fast, forward, up and
aggressive in the other quiet and steady. Her quiet temperment in no way
hindered her athletic ability . Please let's not confuse bad behavior with
athletic ability they simply aren't related.  Vivian Creigh