This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Sarah Vogeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> This message is from: "Sarah Vogeley"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >
> > I have read on several Fjord-List posts that
> feeding a textured feed to
> > Fjords is NOT recommended.

Guess I've missed these posts.  Don't know what the
problem might be.  I have used textured feed (pellets)
for two years now - exclusively.  Our geldings just
get too energetic, and too fat, on grain or
grain-based feed.  Ditto for the old mare.  "The boys"
get two measuring cups of pellets(called "sterling
pellets", a complete ration including vitamens) twice
a day along with their grass hay - around 20 lbs each
a day.  Old Line gets the same amount of a "senior
feed", based on beet pulp and alfalfa products, twice
a day along with grass hay.  I've only had one case of
colic - our one and only case - with Line last winter.
 It's cause was not drinking enough water, due to a
different watering situation than she was used to.  We
always feed hay first - let them start on it - then
throw the pellets in.  Each horse eats in his own
stall, so there is no "gobbling" of feed for fear
someone else will get the most.

Anyone else?

Mary

=====