This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I used to use Professional choice boots on my pair
> in marathon, but I no
> longer use boots except bell boots.

We have not used splint boots or bell boots on our
geldings, who are being trained Western.  I know most
people use either one or the other - or both - but
ours do not seem to have any problems with stepping on
themselves.  They began their training barefoot, and
did step on themselves a few times early on.  It
almost seems as if they learned to be more careful
where they put their feet once they 'whacked'
themselves a couple of times.  Now, if I were
competing in reining or cutting and asking my horse to
'turn around' fast or learn a sliding stop, etc., I
would definitely protect his feet and legs during
training simply because he might hurt himself in the
process of figuring out how to handle himself in
maneuvers at speed.  However, once he learned the
maneuvers wouldn't it be natural to expect him to be
able to do them without hurting himself?  I never used
any kind of leg protection on my barrel racer/pole
bending horse when I was younger.  She was not what
one would call "well put together", but she still
never stepped on herself or interfered with herself
causing injury to her legs.  Could it be we're
producing horses who "can't" keep from stepping on
themselves simply because we protect them so much that
they don't know 'how to' because they don't "have to"?
 Just a thought.  I do realize that some sports
require leg protection for the horse because of the
nature of the sport - because of the extreme exposure
to objects(jumps, etc.) which might cause injury.
It's the same thing as human athletes in 'extreme'
sports wearing protective gear.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman