This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We recently switched to wood pellets.  After 4 weeks this is where we
stand.

With SHAVINGS we would have started with 2 bags in each stall (we have 2
10x10 stalls)
then added 1 bag each week.  .  Then on the fourth week we would have
stripped the stalls and put down 2 more bags each.  Total cost 12 bags *
$3.00 = $48.00  We use a 4yd dumpster for manure and it is usually full
after 3 weeks.  Cost $100.

Total w/shavings for 5 weeks $148

With PELLETS we put down 5 30# bags in each stall and then added 1 each
last week.  total cost 12 bags * 5.25 = $63.00.  The dumpster is 3/4  full,
so I was charged $30.00 rental for the month.

Total w/pellets for 5 weeks $93.00

We will be stripping the stalls this week.  By which time the dumpster will
be full.

For 6 weeks

Pellets 22 bags * 5.25 = $115.50  (adding 1 bag each stall to refresh
before stripping)
Dumpster emptied 1x, plus 1 month rental = $130.00
Total = $245.50

Shavings 14 bags - $154  (we would be due to strip the stalls again, add
$12)
Dumpster emptied 2x $200
Total $354.00

We have to pay retail for pellets, but are able to get shavings at a
discount, (by combining our order with the local Pony Club who buys by the
tractor trailer load), so if would have an even greater cost benefit if we
can lower the pellet cost.  For an example, Home Depot sells 40# bags of
wood stove pellets for $4.00    That said,  the time I spend mucking is
greatly reduced, and it is far easier to muck with pellets then with
shavings.