This message is from: "ruth bushnell" <fjo...@frontiernet.net>

> It doesn't make any sense to offer free choice salt. > Mary

I suppose it does appear to be excessive from a human viewpoint,
one of my sons uses too much salt at the table and I have to
close my eyes =)

But that which "eats like a horse" may require much more salt..
It can sometimes be a mistake to foist our sensibilities onto an animal.
I'm not versed on the subject but I can tell you what has worked
for us here, we free feed white block salt and have never had a
problem. They seem to self regulate their intake.

A narrowed confinement might exacerbate their salt appetite into
compulsory behavior, maybe requiring meted portions..
I don't know. I'm sure the salt helps them drink more too so I
wouldn't withhold it.

Thought I'd mention that years ago on this
list it was suggested that the red mineral blocks were hard
on mane and tail hairs.. increased breakage. We quit using
them at that time and no problem since.

Ruthie, nw mt US