I realize that it entails more work, but I find that it is good to have both kinds of documentation, the straight-through read and the direct route. I generally refer to those as Tutorial and Reference documents. The Tutorial gives new developers all the concepts - in breadth, without necessarily going into depth on all calls. The Reference is for seasoned developers who already understand the concepts, know which specific API they need, and want to read in- depth about all the details of a function call.

I think you could revive your old documentation which was a straight- through read, update it if it is now out-of-date, and add it to the documentation as a Tutorial. But don't get rid of the ominous Reference documentation - those of us who are working on long-term projects need that, too.

Brian