On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> I'm running 1.2.1 and on an occasional basis I end up with a gzip process
> that does not get reaped. It's not a zombie process, it's just hanging
> waiting for it's parent to reap it.

Your statement doesn't make sense.

A zombie is a process which has exited. The process's remains are kept by
the kernel waiting for the parent to reap. Running processes (which have
not exited) do not wait for their parents to reap them.

A process is either still running, or it is a process which is a zombie
and has not been reaped. There's no such thing as a dead process which has
not been reaped which is not a zombie

> Here's what ps shows:
>
> root     23277  0.0  0.0   1784   592 ?        S    03:31   0:03 gzip -9

Whatever is feeding the standard input of that process has not terminated.
What does "ps fax" tell you?

> Do we need to modify flexbackup to set SIG_IGN for SIGCHLD?

I don't know why you are suggesting that.

> Anybody home?

Lights are on.