On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> =>Whatever is feeding the standard input of that process has not terminated.
> =>What does "ps fax" tell you?
> =>
> =>> Do we need to modify flexbackup to set SIG_IGN for SIGCHLD?
> =>
> =>I don't know why you are suggesting that.
>
> Right. It's not a zombie like I said above, but since it's not, you're
> correct that the issue of SIG_IGN for SIGCHLD would be a red herring. From
> the ps output above, it's in a sleep state. Your question about who the
> parent is is good. I don't remember because I just killed the process
> after I sent this message but I believe (from previous incidents) it is
> the child of flexbackup. So the tree should be
>
> cron
> \_bash
>      \_flexbackup
>           \_gzip

No, the tree should never be just that. Something should be feeding gzip,
and gzip should be feeding something. Both "somethings" should be children
of flexbackup. The exact identity of the "somethings" will depend on your
configuration.

> What I think is happening is that flexbackup is waiting for gzip to
> complete before it exits. But gzip doesn't exit because it's waiting for
> more input, not knowing that more isn't coming.

Yes, and you need to determine why no more input is coming, and yet the
program providing such input to gzip has not exited.

> Sometimes I can go a month without a hangup, and sometimes it hangs
> multiple times per week. Do we need to wait for a reoccurance or is this
> enough to be able to work with?

It's not enough because you haven't given us the full information. Since
you've killed the gzip process, we can't determine what was feeding it
input and why it was blocked. If you can show the actual process tree
rather than what you think "should" be there, then we can provide more
debugging instructions.

Perhaps if you describe your configuration someone can speculate about
what process was blocked and why.

--
Charlie