Take a look at http://www.openlaszlo.org/ this is an open source
version of a server side flash code generator that in the latest 3.x
version is matched very closely in features as Flex. It doesn't have
as fully featured a development environment as Flex Builder but the
current Open Source IDE for Laszlo is produced by IBM for the Eclipse
IDE environment and unlike Flex it is cross platform in the
development side and best of all it is free. Don't get me wrong I
think that Flex is great but the server cost just isn't in most
organizations budget.