Patrick... gee that sounds an awful lot like... Apollo :-)

If you're not familar with it, check it out
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

On 7/11/06, palmer2012 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is something that I have been thinking about.

Most of the solutions out there are flash online or flash offline but not that supportive of
both at the same time. There are many cases where software needs to be an application
and net savvy. For example, creating an application using flex 2 where you run locally and
access web services or flash remote objects as if you were in a browser. and being able to
write the serialized objects to the local disk (encrypted). It would then be possible that if
there was internet service, the application could communicate to the remote location.
Otherwise, it could use the local cache. This brings the idea of a rich internet application
out of the browser and onto the computer. It would be great to have a framework that you
can develop flex applications within. And, it would have the functionality that Java Web
Software provides such as checking for newer versions and downloads them.

Given the current state of the player and possible solutions, maybe the approach would be
to use the Gecko SDK and embed an optimized version of the Firefox browser as the basis
of such framework. I've never done this but it probably work (given the flash player is
written using XPCOM interface). The biggest advantage is that Adobe develops the player
for this open source browser so it would be supported. It would also give you the ability
to develop flex apps for both OSX and Windows. Updates would be done by downloading
the swf's and having a version file on the server. So, you could get all of the advantages
of using the Active X without being tied to Microsoft and have all of the additional
rendering power and support packages that it built into Firefox already. And if it was
open source with a license that allows commercial use, there could be an online
community that expands the system functionality that is currently tied because of the wild
web surfing.

I think this solution would be really interesting.

Patrick

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's dead in terms of it's no longer being developed, nor supported. In
> terms of use people still use it because of ActiveX garbage on sites that
> doesn't work with anything else. Kind of the anti-flash. ;-)
>
> On 7/11/06, ryanm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Open source != open specs.
> > >
> > You can get source on the web if you look for it.
> >
> > > Isn't IE on the Mac dead these days anyway ?
> > >
> > Not even close. Funny how the dev geeks always seem to think so
> > (wishful
> > thinking?), but server stats say otherwise.
> >
> > ryanm
> >

> > --