I actually discovered this same issue in my app a few days ago. I also
have several other ComboBoxes (including one right next to the
problematic one) that don't display the i-beam.

After a bit of investigation, it seems that having enabled="false" in
the ComboBox's MXML tag (then enabling it at some point of course)
causes the selectable text. Any idea on a workaround?

Thanks,
Ben