Hi,

> Everyday individuals and companies are porting libraries to the Flash
> platform that existed in other languages – those that were ported to other
> languages before it. I don't think this is any revelation. The capabilities
> of the Flash platform have expanded to make this possible. A c/cpp to AS
> processor doesn't change the situation.

Well, but there is an associated cost to code porting which is
prohibitively high for most cases. Having a compiler lowers the
barrier significantly.

> The real differentiator in our world is the Player, not the language.

Yes, the player is fantastic. But how will adobe make money out of it
if... their business model ( with regards to the flash platform ) now
revolves around development tools and data/media infrastructure, not
the player itself which, licensed as you say it is, didn't cost me or
anyone I know a single penny.

> But it took thousand and thousands of man-hours...

Well... they did it from scratch. A new challenger would, in theory,
have tons of libraries at hand... state machines, animation, 3D
rendering engines, event frameworks, etc, and, last but not least the
whole flex framework to take ideas from. If you put skinning, data
management ( which we can replace by something probably already built
) the framework is not unsurmountable.
Plus, you wouldn't even have to build that UI framework... because you
can just borrow the flex framework for free too.

> and a significant amount of people to develop the framework and to support it.

Last thing I heard, there are tons of highly complex software that is
stable, under constant development and economically supported by
opensource ecosystems.

> It's supported, it's backed by the thought leaders on the technology. Sure,
> a team of very smart developers could put together a similar offering, but
> they sure couldn't support it the same and they would always be playing
> catch-up to those that are developing the technology in the first place.

True... support is a good thing. But, the current offer from LCDS is
not too hard to match, and there are broad standards that we could
code against, like SDO or even a simple RESTful architecture that
doesn't really require that much proprietary support.
All this seems like a big endeavour right now, but if we could port
protocol libraries or execute, say, a Ruby controller, it becomes
easier by orders of magnitude.

> Their real focus on this stuff is the entire enterprise process and
> workflow. Their analyst meeting documents are always a great read and give
> some pretty good insight into where they are positioned. Stuff like that
> Quake technology demo are to keep us happy, imho (and they did a dang good
> job!), but It's miniscule in the grand scheme of what Adobe does.

Yep, but I am looking forward here.
I might be wrong, but I think that Adobe is in a nice position to
become the defacto front end to the web "Operating System" if you may.
Online word processing, spreadsheets, image edition, etc.
And evidently this desktop to web transition will dramatically affect
document lifecycle.

So they are, in a sense, putting things at risk by maximizing
portability and lending their technology for others to leverage
against their mainstream products.

> In the end, it's a code converter. Anyone outside of Adobe could've done it
> - they just did it first. Glad they're still the thought leaders.
> cheers,

Don't underestimate the power of "I hadn't though about it before".

start speculations:

Why do you think they bought buzzword for? It is web based word
processor built on Flash/Flex, which they will most probably integrate
with their doc workflow suite.
Of course it has a lot of neat features like collaboration and
stylized aesthetics but, how hard would it be to get there starting
from a bunch of ported openoffice ( c++ ) modules?
A lot easier I think.

The same for spreadsheets, image editing, web forms, etc.

So, I think this is all wonderful because it speeds up the webization
of the desktop experience... but I think that coming up with,
developing, and supporting a workflow for fast c/cpp to as3 porting
will probably speed them a bit too much.

Next thing you know, we will have a acrobatr.com* launching before
Adobe finishes its work on their flash based acrobat editor, if there
is such thing underway ;)

* built using opensource tech of course.

best,
Aldo

--
:::: Aldo Bucchi ::::