Eureka!!
I found a fix to our ComboBox problem, after reading about this bug:
https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-12803

Our ComboBox symbol comprised of the arrow button symbol used in the
editable ComboBox skin. For the non-editable ComboBox skin I took out
this reference by creating a new symbol for the arrow button (just by
breaking the symbol apart, rendering it in the same raw state as for
the editable ComboBox arrow) and wallah, it works!