-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Martinez
Sent: 20 May 2006 10:07
To: Flex Reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] 16 versus 24 bit audio

>From G3PLX:

Chris:  I wondered about dithering. If I understand the idea, they introduce

some deliberate noise in the ANALOGUE part of the ADC in order to spread the

spectrum of any quantisation noise. Without it, I can imagine a tiny
sinewave input of, say, one bit amplitude, looking to the software like a
one-bit squarewave, with 3rd, 5th, ...  harmonics. Dithering the analogue
input would add a little noise to the fundamental sinewave but push the
harmonics down.

But, as you say, surely they would only introduce about one bit's worth of
dither noise, not eight?  6dB not 48dB?

I just did some proper measurements on the Firebox. On runs of 1200 samples
at 48kHz, the r.m.s. noise level on the line input is about 400. It's about
450 on the Mike input.  I did this by squaring each sample, summing these,
dividing by 1200, and taking the square root. At the same time I calculated
the DC level, just to make sure that was a lot smaller and didn't confuse
things.  This is about 9 bits of noise, or more if you suppose the peaks are

higher.

On the built-in 16-bit card in this laptop the DC level is 15 and I am not
sure how to allow for this in the r.m.s calculation, but only the lsb
toggles randomly. The MP3+ is the same, unless I select the mike input when
the rms noise level is about 10.  These figures are what I would have
expected intuitively. One would expect the analogue noise-level to be
roughly the same as the quantisation noise, in the same way that one would
optimise any receiver so that all sources of noise contribute more-or-less
the same in order to maximise the dynamic range.

Intuitively I would have expected a 24-bit card to do the same, but maybe I
am being naive. These measurements, and the figure quoted by Alberto, tells
me that the "24-bit" figure in the spec. is to some extent a marketting
ploy. I can imagine a scenario where the designer of a new soundcard
measured that it only gave 18 bits of useful data, so he decides to mask the

data to 18-bits and sell it as an 18-bit card.  The marketting manager of
the company would surely override him, especially if the competition were
all actively marketting so-called 24bit cards!

73
Peter