At 11:41 AM 2/19/2012, Jeff Singer wrote:
Ken, I was likewise surprised by your statement about successfully using the
Flex-1500 to receive 600 meter ham beacons.  I've read Flex discussion
boards for several years. To the very limited degree that users comment on
the lowfer receive performance of Flex radios, posts have always suggested
the 3000 and 5000 are worthless below the BCB (and perhaps not great even on
the AM BCB).  I wonder what's so different about the 1500 in that regard.

Flex has similar frequency coverage specs for all radios, but mentions that additional preselectors or filters are required below 1.8 MHz, even for the 1500. I remember reading that the 5000 has a superior set of filters, so it may appear "deader" below 1.8 MHz than the other radios.

http://www.flexradio.com/Products.aspx?topic=SDR_Feature_Matrix#notes

Seems to me this is an opportunity for a third party kitter/manufacturer to supply an outboard preamp+filter product.

Jerry W4UK