Surprised at your observation, I checked my 5000a and noticed that if RX1 preamp is off, I get same results on both RXes at 485 KHz, but if RX1 preamp is on, the baselines are different and I see an apparent difference of 30-something dB.

Are you using the same settings on both receivers?

Jerry W4UK

At 04:46 PM 2/19/2012, Ralph W5JGV wrote:
> My Flex-5000 is utterly deaf below the U.S. AM broadcast band. Can't even
> pick up local airport Non-Directional Beacons.

My F5K has RX2 installed.  I have noticed that the sensitivity of RX1 is 37
dB poorer than RX2.

AT 7 MHz, the gain difference between the two receivers is only 1 dB.

And yes, an external low pass filter is an absolute must with the F5K for
600 meters.

The TX is virtually useless, IMHO.

73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7'