Guys,

I hate to see so many people giving up on their Flex because of the CW
latency.  It used to be really bad but recent versions of PSDR really
improved things.  I can use the internal sidetone up to about 18wpm now but
I still prefer to use my outboard keyer because there's still a little bit
of latency.  I realize the signal is being generated with the same latency
but unless I'm doing a contest where the exchange is very fast it doesn't
matter really when the signal goes out - within reason.

If you're on a very slow computer, the latency will be worse.  It's much
worse on my laptop  than on my desktop with a 6-core AMD Phenom.  The
laptop is an old Pentium with 4GB of RAM.  Even then, I used it fine for FD
with my outboard memory keyer.  I prefer the memory keyer to the keyer in
PSDR anyway, maybe just because I'm used to it.

If you're using the 1500, there are some settings for the USB interface you
can change.  On both the 1500 and 3000 you can change the buffer size in
the filters and I think there's one other place to change the overall audio
buffer size or something (I'm not at the rig right now).

The outboard keyer is a small inconvenience, at least to me, to get the
killer RX filters.  I wouldn't recommend it for a contester.  The 1500 is a
great little rig (my daughter stole mine) but to me it's not a good "to the
field" radio because without carrying along a computer it's just a brick.
For a QRP rig in the shack, it's a blast and has almost as good RX as the
3000.

If you're having problems on CW, before you give up call the Flex support
guys or ask for help on here.  I was very frustrated with mine at first
because I operate 100% CW but after seeing some guys on the list post about
how to speed things up I was much happier with it.  There may also be some
information in the knowedgebase at the Flex web site.

I wouldn't trade my 3000 for the KX3, I do enjoy having 100 watts now and
then in pileups but even with the 3000 I run QRP most of the time.  If
you're going out to the field, the KX3 is definitely the better rig.

I expect part of the reason for the multiple KX3 updates is because it's a
newer rig.  New versions of PSDR were coming fast and furious for a while a
couple of years ago.  The tracking notch filter is still pretty awesome!

73,
Kerry, WD5ABC
3000 owner, my 1500 got kidnapped by my daughter so I may never see it
again....