Thank you everyone for all your great feedback and advice on the KX3 vs the
Flex-3000!  You have given me a lot to think about...

In regard to the comments about using the Flex-3000 with a newer MacBook Pro or
Air, I do believe the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter for $29 from Apple will
work.  I talked with a Flex Radio staff member yesterday who said he has a
colleague using a Flex radio with his MacBook Air, which does not have Firewire.

Unfortunately, as most PC laptops have moved away from Firewire, Flex Radio
does not appear to have plans to update PowerSDR to run native on a Mac.
Instead, we must purchase Windows, install Bootcamp, partition the Mac hard
drive, load PowerSDR and operate the Mac, with its awesome graphics
capabilities, as an ordinary PC laptop.  With so few good SDR options for the
Mac, this seems like a no-brainer to me!  :)

Craig
KD0TXL