On 11/11/2007 09:36 PM, David Megginson wrote:
> This is a good discussion that we've started.

> I think that we need to take a few steps:

Agreed!  I've thought for ages that a top-to-bottom reorg
would be helpful.

The starting point for me was the realization that there
are far more aircraft functions that need to be controlled
than there are keys on the keyboard, so looking for "the"
correct key-to-function mapping was like the Dutch boy
with his finger in the dike.

In situations such as this, the time-honored solution is
to come up with a _language_.

A good language has
 *) some orthogonality, and
 *) some mnemonic value.

There are a few aircraft functions that need to be bound to
a single key for immediate access.  The vast majority, however,
can be bound to a multi-key sequence without causing a problem.
I definitely don't need a single key for engaging the starter
or setting the parking brake.

An example of how such a language could be constructed can
be found here:
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/keys.txt

If done right, such a language would be easier to learn,
easier to remember, easier to use, and vastly more expressive
than what we've got now.