Andy Ross writes:

>Also, I was looking at the HUD code recently.  Alas, it seems awfully
>tied to a flat screen idiom, and uses pixel (!) coordinates at that.
>Has anyone with more knowlege about the HUDs given any thought to
>making them work in a virtual cockpit environment?  It's looking to me
>like big chunks of the code will have to be scrapped and rewritten.

Well you can use glTranslate() to 'sort of' roll the HUD to stay in the
'straight ahead' position,  but this is a 'hack' at best.

Note that the 'roving eye vector' < mouse-view mode > came long
after the HUD was fairly well frozen into something very similar to
it's current state.

Best to think of it as being displayed onto your 'hi tech' glasses
that always follow your line of site like a pair of contacts :-)

FWIW - if I was to do a 3d HUD I think that I would draw it onto the
inside of a unit sphere.

hmm...  I started doing just that at one time now where is that ...

Cheers

Norman