Martin van Beilen writes:

 > > sorry, but I can't understand that. I don't know why you try to
 > > do multiple work instead of working together and increasing the
 > > output.
 >
 > That puzzled me too. It seems to me that fgfs has some (a lot of?)
 > 'orphaned' features. The problem is that the code is there, but
 > there's no way to activate these features, and no documentation.

That's right -- I think we have to be stricter about not accepting
unintegrated code and about cleaning out code that's not being used.
We have very, very few active developers on the project, and each of
us can concentrate only on a tiny area at once (between bug fixes).

Christian's code looks nice, but it has sat mostly unintegrated for
one (maybe two) years.  So far, I'm adding my code in a separate
module and leaving Christian's as the default; you have to configure
--with-new-environment to get mine.  If mine ends up doing what we
need, we'll switch the default and move Christian's code to the attic;
otherwise, we'll bug Christian to integrate his code and move mine to
the attic.  There's nothing personal, either way -- that's just how
Open Source works (look at the memory-management wars in the Linux
kernel for a more brutal example).

 > For example, I've found that the code supports multiple cloud
 > layers with varying degrees of coverage, from FEW to OVC.

I'm going to try to pull that in to the new environment module.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson