Andy Ross wrote:
> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
>  > Threading is *really* scarey in a program of this magnitude.
>  >
>  > I'd be adverse to adding additional threading especially if it
>  > involves something like the property manager.
>  >
>  > There might be specific isolated instances where we can do it
>  > reliably, but there is way too much that can bite us if we try to do
>  > much threading.
>
> Amen.  The only purpose to doing threading in a C/C++ environment is
> SMP scalability (in Java, you have to use them for I/O multiplexing
> too; I consider this a bug, but at least there you have language

Well, the main reason for using multi-threading in a single CPU
environment is to use the CPU cycles when a program (or thread) is in an
IO lock ...

BTW. There are thread schedulers which work in a single address space,
pth is one example:

http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/

This would remove the need for locking (expept for OpenGL I gueass).

Erik