Wolfram Kuss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I agree, full 3D is the way new sims work and FGFS should have that as
> well and not implement now a feature that was state of the art some
> years ago.
Fly! is a 3D cockpit.  I was talking about usability, and IMHO it is a more
usable panel because of its inaccurate eye point when in use.  Just as the
panel disappears when you use the mouse scrolling and reappears with a click,
it'd be easy enough to snap to an operational centered viewpoint.

> There may be small "artistic freedoms" to make things more
> legible, for example shadows on gauges that partly and non-uniformly
> shadow digits on gauge faces can make it more realistic and pretty,
> but harder to read. Also, if in reality there is much space between
> gauges, you can increase the size of the gauges.
Yes, unfortunately reality occurs in much higer resolution than even the best
monitor can deliver.  How about when the sun is right in your eyes and you
can't see anything, even with sunglasses?

It amazes me sometimes that people define "reality" in 3D as being something
that looks like it was done with a video camera.  To me its a more realistic
experience if the gauge I'm looking at can easily be used and is closer to
what it would be in size and perspective from my eyes sitting in the chair,
not the camera's little box on the screen.

> I also love a fully
> 3D, fully functional, fully clickable cockpit. But it is a lot of
> work, more than exteriour models. Also, an artist can make an
> exteriour model without help from a coder. If an aritist does a 3D
> cockpit that holds a switch or gauge or whatever that has not been
> coded before, he needs the help of a coder.
Yeah they are pretty cool, but for me once you've got them figured out (solved
the puzzle and repeated it a few times) it's pretty dull.  When I first got
Fly! a couple years ago I used it a lot for a few months.  Now I just dig it
out when I'm interested in how the developers might have done something.

Best,

Jim