Andy Ross writes:

 > I'm not sure I understand.  A given stick position corresponds very
 > closely to a given angle of attack.  If you change the stick
 > position, the aircraft will "seek" to the new AoA.  If you change
 > the stick position very rapidly, it will seek rapidly, overshoot,
 > and oscillate.

For anyone who'd like further reading on phugoid oscillations, see

  http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/aoastab.html#toc106

In a C172, these usually show up (at least for me) as a very gentle
up-and-down drift, like the bow of a boat over light swells -- still
very annoying if you're trying to hold altitude or airspeed and don't
get on top of them fast.  For a fast jet trainer, I can easily imagine
that things are more dramatic.

 > Yanking on the stick in a 172 works just fine -- you're only
 > transiting through a 5-10 degrees of pitch.  Yanking the stick back
 > on the A-4 tries to rotate the aircraft by 20-30 degrees, and is
 > much less forgiving.

That might be overstating the case.  Smooth inputs are necessary on a
C172 as well, especially if you're trying to stay within small
tolerances (i.e. +-5kt airspeed or +-50ft altitude).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/