Andy Ross writes:

 > David Megginson wrote:
 > > That might be overstating the case.  Smooth inputs are necessary on
 > > a C172 as well, especially if you're trying to stay within small
 > > tolerances (i.e. +-5kt airspeed or +-50ft altitude).
 >
 > True enough; graceful control input is always important.  But yanking
 > the stick back during takeoff on the little Skyhawk isn't likely to
 > kill you the way it can on the big one. :)

Probably not, but it could trash the plane pretty easily when you
stall and nose down from 50 ft above the runway.

For the record, I just tried the A4 with the mouse.  It handles fine,
but is *extremely* sensitive to control input, as one would expect.
During the takeoff roll, I gently eased the mouse back just until the
nose wheel started to move a bit off the ground, then held it still
and waited for the plane to start climbing on its own; once it was in
the air, I needed to push the mouse back forward a bit to keep the
climb from getting too steep.  In both cases, the amount of mouse
movement would be best measured in millimeters.

Note that some fighter aircraft, like (I think) the F-4, are
inherently unstable, and if they're modelled correctly we won't be
able to fly them at all by direct controls: we'll need to work though
a fairly sophisticated FCS.

All the best,

David

--