[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

 > For the second aspect, as David (I think) said, I was taught to
 > recognise the "on-screen geometry" of the runway, mainly the angle
 > of its edges.  That works well in getting used to your home
 > airfield, and after gaining experience there, you will be
 > comfortable enough to adjust for unknown runways by picking up more
 > than one cue at a time.  (I remember thinking "runway looking good
 > ... looking good ... oh, airspeed! quick! ... that's better
 > ... that's better ... oh, where's the runway gone?".  Maybe not
 > literally, but that's what it felt like.

That sounds very, very familiar.  Losing the Iron Grip Of Death on the
yoke helped a lot, since I could feel what the pitch was doing even
when I wasn't staring at the ASI.

 > I stopped flying after getting a PPL, and never really reached the
 > comfortable stage.  So please don't trust my tips and advice too
 > much.)

Since you still have your PPL, you might consider taking a checkride
(and updating your medical, if necessary) then trying again.  I have
been uncomfortable and nervous through much of my training, but I
found that three things helped a lot:

1. Encouragement from the other FGFS developers and users.

2. Hours of practice on FlightGear with a proper USB yoke and rudder
   pedals (the JSBSim C172 handling is so close now that it's eerie:
   if I'm 5 kt too fast on approach in the real C172, I tend to be 5
   kt too fast on approach in fgfs under the same conditions).  One
   evening I did over 40 approaches in rapid succession using the
   forecast conditions from the TAF, then nailed my first solo the
   next morning.

3. Reading, rereading, and rerereading

     http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/

All the best,