Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > I would argue that if we do embed a script interpreter it should be
 > really small, tight, and light weight.  1Mb of compressed source seems
 > excessive ... this is almost exactly the same size as the entire
 > flightgear source, so we'd be roughly doubling the size of our source
 > and the time to compile ...

Point well taken.  I'd like to see a small interpreter, perhaps
100K-200K source -- I'm sure it could be done, even for ECMAScript.

 > Also we need to consider that each new dependency we add
 > significantly increases the barrier for new developers to get all
 > the pieces in place to build their own executable.

I agree strongly, but we do need scripting to take FlightGear to the
next level.  We've been abusing the XML a little, as Norm has often
graciously pointed out -- XML should be used for representing state
(data tables, etc.), and scripting languages should be used for
representing data.  It is just as stupid to use XML for procedural
stuff

  <for-loop>
   <start-value>3</start-value>
   <end-value>18</end-value>
   <increment>1</increment>
   <action>
   </action>
  </for-loop>

as it is to use a programming language for declarative stuff

  inst = new Instrument;
  inst.addLayer(new Layer);
  inst.getLayer(0).setTexture(...)

 > In light of this, having an external scripting system that uses a
 > network interface becomes attractive.  However, there can be
 > performance issues with that which might be addressed by a built in
 > script engine.

It's also a dependency problem, again.  Once FlightGear starts to
depend on scripting, users are going to have to have a Java, Perl, or
Python environment set up on their computers (or an accessible
computer, anyway), and that raises a barrier for new users, which is
even worse than a barrier for new developers.  Of the three, Java is
the most likely to be already installed on a user's machine, but even
then they probably have no idea how to use it.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/