Lighting in opengl is not only specified by an abient and a diffuse component,
but also by an emission and a specular.
These four components are added together before rendering a primitive.

Emission ( which I think is enabled on the C172) is a color component
independet of any ambient or diffuse light setting. That's why it glows or
shines even at night. I am pretty sure that when you remove that component
the C172 will look ok.

The specular component is the reflection of the light on the surface.
You see this component only if you are looking to the surface and it's
reflection hits the sun.

I try do some ASCII arts to make clear:

sun      viewpoint
      \    /