Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > Actually this is the way it is supposed to work.  We GL_MODULATE the
 > texture on top of a colored polygon and the underlying color is
 > "modulated" with the texture.  This way we can draw our objects in all
 > white and have them properly shaded, then modulate that with the
 > actual textures so the textured surfaces also appear shaded.  This is
 > not unlike using multi-texturing to achieve lighting effects, except
 > we are using opengl's shading model rather than providing our own
 > light mask.

Here are the opening lines of c172-dpm.ac:

AC3Db
MATERIAL "NoName" rgb 1 1 1  amb 1 1 1  emis 0 0 0  spec 0 0 0 shi 72 trans 0

The rgb values are the only ones that seem to affect the model's
appearance.

 > >   http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/inside-lighting.jpg
 > >
 > >   http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/outside-lighting.jpg
 > >
 > > Notice that not only the plane starts to glow, but also the water
 > > tower and most of the buildings.  For some reason, the rgb colour gets
 > > blended with the texture in external view (also in the two tower
 > > views) but not in cockpit view.
 >
 > You may be seeing two different surfaces (inside vs. out) which may
 > account for some of this???

That does not seem likely.  For pilot view, I'm not in a 3D cockpit,
so we're looking at the same buildings from about the same angle each
time.  Something changes in the OpenGL lighting state between pilot
view and chase view.

All the best,

David

--