Julian Foad writes:

 > Much of this code in JSBSim is very similar to FDM/IO360.cxx which seems
 > to be only used by LARCsim even though it is not in the LARCsim
 > subdirectory; presumably one was derived from the other.  I really don't
 > like duplication; I feel that any work I do on one of them is half
 > wasted if it isn't automatically shared by the other.  And then there is
 > Yasim's engine code.  Three piston engine models, each specific to its
 > own FDM.  So I started thinking about deriving them all from a common
 > PistonEngine interface with the aim of making the engine models
 > interchangeable.  Haven't gone anywhere down this road yet, though.
 >
 > Thoughts?

I like the idea as well: it would be nice if the engine were its own
subsystem and we could mix-and-match engines and FDMs (let's try the
J3 cub with 180HP).  Unfortunately, the FDM people haven't been too
enthusiastic: in particular, JSBSim is supposed to run standalone as
well as inside FlightGear, so they need some kind of internal engine
model.

All the best,

David

--