On 11/10/02 at 4:02 AM Julian Foad wrote:

>As for the guts of how the engines are modelled ... I first worked on
>the starting and stopping behaviour of the JSBsim engine.  The
>thermodynamic model of the engine is probably very good

Parts of it are, parts of it aren't and are overdue a re-visit.

>but there's lots
>of yucky stuff there to do with starting etc.  I've done some stuff
>there, and in the sound configuration, but not finished.  I'll go into
>that later.

Ah yes, starting, I seem to recall a lot of hacking and kludging to get
everything to work :-)  There's a number of problems currently:

1/  My assumption of cranking speed at the time (480rpm!!!!!!!) was *way*
too high.

2/ There's currently no friction modelled, which means there's not enough
resistance to a proper starter motor torque at very low rpm when there's no
prop resistance (I put a friction model into the LaRCsim IO360.[ch]xx to
resist the prop when the engine was switched off in flight but I haven't
brought it over to the JSBSim one yet).

3/ Need a proper starter motor torque curve.  I did dig one out at one
point but never put it in and now I've lost it.  I'll have another look.
Part of the problem is that I have to make sure that I'm working from
publically available data and not anything internal.

Have fun :-)

Cheers - Dave