Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > BTW, Andy, how hard would it be to accept an initial airspeed for the
 > YASim models so we can do in-air starts with those?

Andy's concern has been the obfuscation around velocities.  We have

- calibrated airspeed in knots (forward from the nose of the plane)
- mach number (ditto)
- UVW wind/body speeds (u/v/w)
- NED speeds

The NED *should* be the ones we save and restore, since they are the
only independent ones (we don't have to set the orientation first);
however, because of problems with LaRCsim, we had to make UVW
canonical quite a while back.  It would be nice to fix that and make
NED canonical first, then twist Andy's arm until he supports them in
YASim.

There's also more to the problem.  If we're restoring a saved flight
then everything's fine, since all of the FDM state is already valid.
If, on the other hand, we're starting in the air, then we need a
general trimming routine like the one Tony wrote for JSBSim and
LaRCsim to avoid violent oscillations at startup.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/