On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 14:17, Andy Ross wrote:
> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> > BTW, Andy, how hard would it be to accept an initial airspeed for
> > the YASim models so we can do in-air starts with those?
>
> Not hard at all.  The only reason it doesn't is that, heh, I got
> really confused about how to figure out the units and precedence
> rules.  Speed can be set in about a zillion ways (roll/pitch/heading
> vs. x/y/z vs. north/east/down coordinates, IAS, TAS, knots, m/s, mach,
> etc...), and it seemed like the FDM is responsible for figuring out
> what goes where.
>
> If you can point me at a property to read for an authoritative
> velocity source, I'm there. :)
>
> A slightly harder problem is getting the aircraft trimmed for the
> selected environment.  A really annoying property of most (all?) sims

Almost all professional sims have a trimming routine.  They are not only
useful for the instructor, but also very helpful when using a motion
base and control loaders.

> is that they start you out at the right point, but way out of trim and
> you wreck the setup trying to get stabilized.  I can probably
> canibalize some of the solver code for that.

It is not a terribly hard problem to solve, but does require some
patience in discovering and covering most situations.

--
Tony Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>